The convent of the Sto. Niño de Cebu was founded by Fr. Andres de Urdaneta on April 28, 1565 , the very day the Legazpi-Urdaneta expedition arrived in the island. On May 8 of the same year, when Legaspi and his men planned the urbanization of the city, they allotted a “place for the church and the convent of San Agustin, “where the Santo Niño image had been found.”
Basilica del Sto. Niño de Cebu is situated along Osmeña Blvd, Cebu City. Just few meters from the country’s oldest street, Colon. It is one of the must see places when visiting the queen city of the south. Aside from its historical value, the Basilica is also venerated consecrated by many Catholics and believers.